PLAZA REDONDA (THE ROUND SQUARE)

Confluencia Calles Pescaderia - Vallanca - Síndico; 46001 Valencia

photo by playadevalencia

Built by Salvador Escrig Melchor, this enclosed circular plaza, while integrated into the urban network of streets, is at the same time isolated from the buildings that surround it. Popularly known as ‘el clot’ (‘the hole’), it is one of the most peculiar constructions of 19th century Valencia. It has a ground floor occupied by shops, with three storeys above. The first two include continuous railings to emphasise its circular nature, while the third floor incorporates separate balconies. An original fountain built in 1850 can be found in the centre of the plaza. A circular roof surrounds the fountain and accommodates more shops.

The content on this site is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

Mangolink is owned by Makarikari S.L.